Saturday, November 7, 2009

Breathing 101

For the last few years I have noticed that breathing through my nose has been getting worse with each successive year. I had a doctor tell me, I don't know, 10+ years ago I had a 'bit of a problem'. Well, in the last few months it has blossomed into a full problem.

I went to see a friend of my in-laws, go figure she's an ENT, Dr. Freeling. She said I was a deviant, no wait, erase that, go back. That I had an S curve in my septum, weak nasal valves (is this from Mom or Dad's side?) and, here's the kicker, a drooping tip that were all conspiring to make me wake up gasping and/or with a headache each morning. Nice. She said sitting up I am at 40% capacity, laying down with my head on a pillow with one side squashed into the pillow and the other collapsing (remember those weak valves?) I was barely breathing at all. The good news? No apnea. Whew.

So, she is going to fix me right up. I asked about fixing the valve issue - it involves harvesting (never a good term for surgical related issues) cartlidge from my ear (yeah, there's where I want to have scarring!) and rebuild the values and oh, by the way, your nose will be wider. "What do you mean wider?", I asked. "Think Michael Jackson the teenage years.", she says with one glove on. Yikes! So, I have opted for less wide but still breathing. She is going to straighten out my septum - no nose breaking here at all thank goodness! And, this is sort of funny, lift my tip. HUH? She is going to (turn away if you are squeamish) separate the skin from the bump in my nose and sew the skin from the inside up about 1/16th of an inch higher so I will have "more nostril" when I look in the mirror. By doing this it takes pressure off my weak valves allowing me to breath at about 90% capacity.

So now I am walking around pulling the skin from the bump in my nose up just a little bit and boy can I tell the difference. I am a little concerned about the bump though. With those stitches my bump will be about 1/64 higher for about three weeks until the stitches dissolve. No pics during that time..... ;-)

I am going in on December 9th for my nose job.... I don't think wishing me luck would be appropriate. How about sending a nice card to my ENT so she feels good about herself that day?

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe that you are able to run as much as you are with that much wrong with your breathing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the big reasons for fixing this is so I can breath better while running. I am going to try to be a pace runner for a 100 mile race in the spring. I would go for 10 -15 miles and have to be able to keep a very consistent speed so breathing will be mighty important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And celebrities make nose jobs seem so glamorous. All for 1/16th of an inch. I hope that it helps you breathe easier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww...you get all the cool surgeries. (Crossing my self, in hopes that I don't have to EVER have surgery.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First a ____job and now a nose job. What's next?

    You'll have to practice some different poses for the camera - until you're used to the new look...I'm thinking a slightly downward tilted head with a come hither look in your eye.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a septoplasty last summer. Recovery was a breeze, you'll do great :) Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now you've got me thinking that allergies may not be my only problem ( did I say ONLY?). The only surgery I like to contemplate involves excising my ingrown toenails...which I can do on my own. Is there a DIY for this procedure?

    ReplyDelete