Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Personal Parable

Costco: Hello, may I speak to Sherri Voy, Voyd, Voyd-dot?
Me:  This is Sherri.
Costco:  This is Amber with the photography department.  We have some film that you dropped off in 2012 that needs to be picked up.  This is a courtesy call to let you know you have 7 days to pick it up and then your memories will be destroyed.
Me:  Huh.  You are going to destroy my memories?
Costco:  Well, I mean we are going to destroy the film and the VHS tape.
Me:  There is a VHS memory?
Costco:  Yes.  Do you remember dropping this off?  It says, "60th Birthday" on the label.  Do you remember that?
Me:  Do I remember my 60th birthday?  No.
Costco:  (With hand over receiver)  Put it in that box.  I don't think this one is going to remember this call in the morning.  (To me.)  Okay.  Well, we have it.  We will keep it for 7 days.  Thank you.  (click)


TODAY AT COSTCO


Me:  Hi.  Amber called me last night about some film to be picked up?
Amber:  Oh, that was me.
Me:  Great.
Amber:  (Looking puzzled.) You look younger than I thought you would.
Me:  Really?  Why is that?
Amber:  Well, you just didn't remember your 60th so I thought you might be older than that.
Me:  Nope not older and I heard you say I wasn't going to remember this in the morning.  You should maybe try muting next time.
Amber:  (Embarrassed.) Oh, yeah, I should.  You do look good for 60 by the way.
Me:  Thanks Amber.


Moral of the story?  When leading people astray try not to lead them down a path they can't get themselves off of. 


(BTW, it was a VHS tape of Eve's 60th birthday in 1990.)

No comments:

Post a Comment