Saturday, October 24, 2009

Working Widow

There are many things that I like about Jim's job; flexible, steady pay check, decent hours, not many night meetings, can meet me for lunch once in a while, he can bike to work, etc.. But the thing I don't like is being a working widow. He has been traveling quite a bit this year. The kids and I get into a routine while he is gone but things are harder. Being always 'on' is the hardest. Even if the kids are at school you have to be 'on' - available at any moment to rush off. Tylor ran away after school on Thursday and we had a blow-out. I had to call Jim to call Tylor to talk to him because I couldn't do it any more. Only 5 more days until he is home for 6 days and then he is off to China for 8 days. This working widow may be down a kid by then....

4 comments:

  1. Is boarding school really any more expensive than private school? Really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I soooooo understand! You can call me to vent if need be 'cause, well, working widowhood is no walk in the park!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This last week Nathan was gone every night until 11-ish. He'd have to do a head count every morning before heading off to work just to make sure I hadn't murdered one. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you are overestimating the value of the steady paycheck. You should rethink that.

    ReplyDelete