Sunday, October 24, 2010

It's okay! I make you lamb.



I have to say that I am stuck on the fact that neither Debbie or Keira will cook with lamb. I cook with it constantly and my family LOVES it. You can get good inexpensive cuts at Costco and since it is a richer meat it goes farther. Jim begged me for Lamb Stew today so here is my very easy but yummy recipe:





3 lbs lamb shoulder cubed


Garlic salt


White pepper


4 garlic cloves - whole


1 long sprig of fresh Rosemary (1 tsp of dried)


12 small New Red or white Potatoes - halved or quartered (depends on how big you like them)


2 Carrots scrubbed and cut in 1/4" pieces


1 Celery rib cut in 1/8" pieces





Brown lamb in a skillet with a small amount of oil about 7 minutes. Season with garlic salt and white pepper to taste. Transfer lamb to stew pot or crock pot. Pour 2 1/2 quarts of water over meat. (NOTE: You may have to add water through the cooking process if you do this on the stove.) Add cloves of garlic and rosemary. Cover and cook for about 3 hours - 6 to 8 hours in the crock pot on low. Meat should be fall apart tender. 30 to 45 minutes prior to serving add vegetables depending on how tender you like them - with a crock pot add vegetables 1 hour before serving and turn the crock pot to high. Take out rosemary sprig. (NOTE: If I find the garlic I take it out and smash it up then stir it back in. If I don't find it then someone gets the whole one... :-) Season to taste with salt and white pepper before serving. Serve with a nice crusty loaf of sour dough or french bread.

Nothing like a nice lamb stew that requires minimal work and maximum taste.

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good! One day, when we're less poor, I'll make this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I don't know if they have lamb around here much (huge sheep, llamas,goats, cows yes...lambs?), but I would cook with it...in fact I may just have to try this!

    ReplyDelete