Sunday, October 17, 2010

Anew


I am starting a new - not "anew" - bit of posting. I love to cook. I like to experiment with recipes that I like and see if I can improve them, just a bit or sometimes remake the whole thing. I can't say as my family love all of my efforts: if I get 3 of 5 to eat it I consider it a decent showing, 4 of 5 a good showing and adding it to our list of meals to make again, 5 of 5 and I'll pull it out anytime I want to have opinions swayed my way. ;-) I say use whatcha' got!


Greek Skillet Lasagna (modified from an America's Test Kitchen recipe) - serves 4


1 lb ground lamb (or 85% lean ground beef but lamb is better)

1/2 white onion chopped fine

garlic salt and white pepper

4 garlic cloves, minced

1 tsp dried oregano

1/4 tsp cinnamon

10 curly-edged lasagna noodles broken into 2" lengths (or equivalent of wide egg noodles)

1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes

1/4 cup heavy cream (Note: If you don't have this you can leave it out but add 1/8 c water)

3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese


Cook lamb in large skillet until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Drain lamb, reserve 1 Tbsp fat, put lamb on paper towel lined plate. Add reserved fat, onion and 1/2 tsp garlic salt to skillet and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, oregano and cinnamon and cook about 30 seconds. Return meat to skillet with 2 cups of water (plus 1/8th if you aren't using cream) and bring to simmer, scraping up browned bits.

Scatter pasta over meat but don't stir. Pour tomatoes over pasta, cover and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to medium and cooking stirring occasionally (after it simmers) until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.

Stir in cream and simmer until slightly thickened (if you don't use the cream let it thicken by cooking slightly longer 3 to 5 minutes). Season with garlic salt and white pepper. Sprinkle with feta cheese. Serve with garlic bread and a nice salad w/balsamic vinaigrette.

2 comments:

  1. If only my kids would eat something like this! It sounds good, but it has "sauce".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Debbie's camp on the subject of lamb--wary if willing.

    ReplyDelete