Tuesday, October 19, 2010

People Overload

I am an introvert. There. It's out. Whew. I'm sure no one has guessed that one. I had a people overload today. I had too much contact with too many people in too many situations. People suck the energy out of me. Not that I don't like people but I need small doses. Church each week is a challenge if I have to deal with adults, thus the reason I am still "volunteering" in Primary. Kids just want love, hugs and your undivided attention which I can do.

I had to deal with people at work - not the usual people - that were cranky and needed soothing. Not my forte but, hey, I got through it. Then I had to go to school to deal with forty-four 10 ten olds - easy peasy: it was the adults that were adding to my stress level. Then I taught a cooking class Connor is in, seventeen 11 - 14 yr olds, for an hour plus the myriad of adults that were asking what we were doing, can they get the recipes, can they make one, is it that easy? blah, blah, blah. We got home and I had to clean up, make dinner, make soup of an RS activity and go set up at church. Here's where the real overload started. If I go to an RS function I sneak in very near the start, not late but just on time, sit out of the way and have minimal contact with others. I couldn't do any of that. I tried to sneak off but got wrangled back in. Now my nerves are jangled and I'm an edge.

I got home at 9, we did scripture study and I'm already calmer but need a good masseuse for my knotted shoulders, oh, wait, that's another person, never mind. The funniest part was that the RS activity was about, get this, dealing with stress. I love a good ironic situation.

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain.

    We have our own way to deal with stress - and it doesn't involve anyone except sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But your soup was so yummy, that makes it all worth it. Maybe not for you, but for me. ;-)

    I totally agree with you that talking to adults is ten times harder than kids. Hopefully my lack of maturity means you can talk to me without too much stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I know a GREAT masseause! Very calming and she doesn't care if you say a thing ;)

    ReplyDelete