Thursday, February 10, 2011

Spare Rib


A week ago I fell, tripped over a stupid branch in the middle of the road, while running. I had friends teasing me that I should run with night vision goggles or, gasp, run when it's light out (what?!). I thought I had pulled a muscle in my chest when I fell: only my hands and knees hit the ground so I thought as I twisted to a sitting position I had overextended my arms and strained that muscle.


Yesterday I went to our GP, funny guy that is very thorough and makes me smile at his seriousness over the need for more vitamin D in my diet...uh-huh. I asked him how long this strained muscle should take to heal. "It's not a strained muscle", he says seriously, "You broke a rib.". How is this possible? I didn't hit the ground! Here's the part I love ... "Due to your age you may have a considerable loss of bone density which would contribute to a twisting break. We should do a test to check your bone density, add more vitamin D, C and Magnesium. And, you can't run for 8 to 10 days.". The man is a comic, I swear.


I run. I drink milk. I eat cheese. I eat bananas. I don't do weigh training but come on, I have twigs for arms (thanks Grandma Hanna!). I want to know why I got the sucky teeth gene, cholesterol gene and now possibly bone density gene. Where does it end?


I've never been a proponent for genetic engineering but I might be willing to listen ....

2 comments:

  1. Let me know what you find out...I'm from the shallow end of the gene pool too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, us younger sisters got all of the good genes... the younger the better. Sorry : )

    ReplyDelete