Monday, February 7, 2011

Amazing Meatloaf


I grew up eating meatloaf. It is still a big comfort food for me ... not so much for my kids. I drag it out about every other month and try again. Statistically, you need to feed your child a food 18 times before they will like it, yeah, right. I've fed mine meatloaf - let's do the math 6 (every other month) x 12 (avg age of kids) = 72 times! BUT!, I have a new weapon ... bacon. My kids love bacon but I don't break it out often, maybe once a month. I found a recipe that incorporates it nicely. The recipe is forgiving so feel free to tweak as necessary:


Bacon Loaf (Even the name is better Connor says) modified from Fine Cooking Feb 2011 issue


1 small carrot chopped medium fine

1/4 small purple onion chopped medium fine

2 cloves garlic smashed with edge of knife then chopped fine

1 Tbl Olive oil

1 lb Lean Ground Sirloin

2 cups cubed day old crusty bread (I use sourdough or an Italian country loaf)

3/4 cup milk

1 egg

Sea salt

Pepper

4 slices of smoked bacon cooked until just crisp, chopped into bite sized pieces

6 - 8 slices of smoked bacon for wrapping


Set the bread in a flat baking dish and pour the milk over it. Turn it after about 3 minutes so the milk is thoroughly soaked through, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium frying pan heat olive oil to medium heat. Add carrots and cook for about 4 minutes until just slight softened. Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes until fragrant. By the time the garlic is fragrant the carrots should be soft and onions starting to turn golden. Set aside. Get out a cutting board with a juice slot around the edge. Take the bread and gently squeeze out the excess milk, just so it isn't dripping but it is still moist. Chop it to medium fine crumbs on the cutting board. Place the sirloin in a large bowl. Add the egg and bread crumbs and mix thoroughly but not overly so. Add the bacon and carrot mixture until even throughout sirloin. Add Sea salt and pepper to taste.* Place mixture into non-stick baking pan or use Pam on a regular pan. Shape into a shallow football shape. Place bacon over loaf tucking the ends underneath. Bake at 375' for about 50 minutes until bacon looks crisp.


*I have always wondered about how to do this and Fine Cooking had a great way. Take about a tablespoon of the final meat mixture and cook it in a frying pan. Taste it and modify to fit your taste buds!


I served this over mashed potatoes with candied carrots. Connor and Lauren said I could leave out the cooked carrots and they would have liked it just fine. Tylor still isn't sold. Jim and I loved it. I'm filing this under a 'near' success!

1 comment:

  1. I have tried a recipe like this... but it never looked like that. That looks de-licious! I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete