Thursday, March 8, 2012

The needs of the one...



I found a great cabinet last week on Craigslist for $79. I don't love the top though. I don't hate it but I was thinking since I am getting so proficient at refinishing I could refinish the top of this pretty easily. I found a nice man at Southern Lumber that was willing to walk me through the steps - caution on the get-the-top-straight-the-first-time step - and then left me to look at about 20 different veneers. The veneers are unfinished so I can stain it whatever color my heart desires. I saw this Birds-eye Maple (see above sample that isn't half as fabulous as the piece I saw) that I was drooling over. Then I pulled out the roll to look at the cost. $243 for a 24"x 48" piece. Are you kidding? My heart sank. My dreams rolled away towards the horizon. The idyllic state of my bliss was smashed like a mobile home in a twister. It's wrong. I know. But I think I am coveting a small piece of wood right now.

1 comment:

  1. Dreams smashed before you, but thankfully we are way too thrifty to give in to the urge.

    ReplyDelete