Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Consequences for Lying


Yes, I lied. Pretty poorly but to a 9 yr old it was good enough. But this morning I found out the dire consequences of my lying to Lauren last night.

The Lie

Lauren: Mom, I just remembered Daddy is going to be home tomorrow and I want to be here! I don't want to go to Emily's overnight now.
Me: Daddy won't get home until late and then he has to get up early to go to work. You probably won't get to see him much. (The lie was the home late part - he was due in at 1:45. I just wanted to spend time with him myself - very selfish I know. I'm repenting as I type.)
Lauren: Okay, I'll go but I'll call him later and if he is home early I'll come home.

The Consequences

200+ people are stranded in Puerto Rico due to my lie. It's true. The plane that Jim was supposed to leave on at 7:30 was grounded due to problems. Jim had to catch the next flight out at 12:30 going through Miami with a 4 hour lay-over there and then on the SF. The flight gets in at 10:45 pm. He has hired a car to take him from SF and bring him home and should be here by about 12:00 -ish. Jim said the other people we really upset and working rabidly to get on the flight he was taking to Miami because there are no other flights out of Puerto Rico today. Lovely.

So, the moral is don't lie because higher powers can make these things true and make lots of people suffer because you lied. Not that I'm really done lying but I'm going to tell better ones.... ;-).

2 comments:

  1. *snort*.

    That's hilarious! Too bad you haven't learned your lesson yet...that's okay, I'm looking forward to being amused by you yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer to call it variations on the truth. After all it could ( and did!) happen that way.Plausibility goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete