Sunday, June 20, 2010

A Salute to My Dad


Here's to my dad's family famous sayings:


"It'll quit hurting when it feels better."


"Measure twice. Cut once."


"Do it now because you'll forget later."


"I have something that will make you feel better!" (Referring to his family famous peanutbutter ketchup and onion, yes onion, sandwich,)


My dad could make you wither with his, "I'm dissappointed in you." (Jewish mother's have nothing on the 'Idaho eye' when it comes to guilt.)


Then there were all those 'talks'; sex (don't!), work (do!), responsibility (heaped!), ethics (have some!), and don't get him started on religion (he would have been a televangilist in any other religion).


What I learned; 1) you don't have to get credit for something getting done as long as it gets done, 2) work hard and earn your money 'cause it isn't going to fall in your lap, 3) helping someone doesn't always mean giving them something: it could mean teaching them something, 4) be someone that your dad (and mom) would be proud of, 4) be grateful for what you have 'cause there is always, always someone worse off than you, and 5) love one another.


There are so many more things I learned from my dad that I can't possibly list them. But what I can say is thank you dad for life lessons that have served me well even when you didn't think I listened to them!

2 comments:

  1. I remember every Sunday morning we would shlump up the stairs and Dad would be cooking some ellaborate breakfast for all of us with the tv tuned into some televangilist. It still makes me smile to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite memories include all the energy and positivity that was injected into nearly everything!...He must of been siphoning it off of us....sigh.

    ReplyDelete