Monday, November 8, 2010

Sweet Potato Casserole


Nothing says Thanksgiving like a vegetable that could pass for a pie! I have amended this recipe a few times and just made it again over the weekend amending it again. Here is my latest pass:


Sweet Potato Casserole


2 can sweet potatoes, drained & mashed (don't use food processor if possible, slightly chunky is good)
4 Tbsp butter, softened (don't melt it and if you do let it cool until it is semi-solid again)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/3 cup evaporated milk

Topping:

6 Tbsp butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
1/2 to 3/4 cup chopped pecans (or walnuts or mixed nuts) Note: I like salted nuts but you can
use unsalted

In a large bowl cream butter and sugars together; add potatoes, mix thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients* and mix until well incorporated. Pour in casserole dish; bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 375'. (Note: Due to the moisture content of the potatoes the baking time can vary a lot. You want the potatoes to be slightly firm before adding the topping mixture.)

Mix all topping ingredients in medium bowl. Spread on top of casserole after first bake. Return to oven for 7 to 10 minutes until browned. Serves 8.

*You can adjust the sugar, butter, and milk to taste. You don't want the mixture watery but the consistency of a thick pie filling. If it is watery cover the top with foil and bake longer until it is almost like a pumpkin pie then add the topping.

1 comment:

  1. I had to revise my "no orange" food when I tasted this recipe. I tried to skip making this one year and Michael put Sweet Potatoe Pie on our traditions list. To be fair, I make this a little differently every year, but I try to remain true to the awesome topping.

    ReplyDelete