Tuesday, July 5, 2011


When I was 14 my mom and dad told me I had to sew a dress before I could get my driving permit. I really wanted to drive because my stepsisters (Okay, they were my real sisters but at the time I thought they were very mean - not ugly unfortunately because then I really would have been Cinderella-esque.) because they wouldn't take me anywhere! Mom took me to a fabric store and I picked out a pattern and some tube-top type dress material to make a sundress. I only had to do two seams, make four straps and hem it, how hard could it be? It took me over a month to get it done and I HATED it by the time it was over. And I hated sewing. To make it worse I had to wear the stupid thing. UGH!

Time warp forward to last year. My nine year old tells me she wants to take a week long sewing class. I'm thinking, "WHY?". Then, "Don't project your fears or failures on your daughter!". I signed her up. Lauren loved every minute of it. She learned so much that she ended up taking another week long class plus 4 other single day classes last year. Since then she has taken on her Halloween costume - a difficult gypsy pattern - and helped me with the 4th grade play costumes. The kid is good and getting better all the time.

The above pic is from her class two weeks ago. She made the blouse and the block tote bag. I'm so proud and happy she can create things she loves to wear.

1 comment: