Sunday, January 9, 2011

3rd Christmas

It's finally over! Whew! I thought it would never end this year! Whew!!! We had 3 Christmas' this year; 1 with my sister, 2 with Jim's brother and 3 with Jim's parents. I thought it would never end. I am sooo planning it better next year. But what I really wanted to post about was 3rd Christmas dinner. I did a Garlic and Cracked Peppercorn crusted Prime Rib. Here's the very easy recipe if you are so inclined:

Garlic and Cracked Peppercorn Crusted Prime Rib

1 5 to 7 bone Prime Rib
12 Garlic cloves crushed with the flat of your knife then minced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tsp dried Thyme
2 Tbsp coarse Salt (I used a coarse Sea Salt)
4 Tbsp Cracked Peppercorns (I like the mixed variety but you can use just black.)
Garlic Salt


Set Prime Rib on counter for about an hour to get it to room temperature - very important! Turn on oven to 500'. Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl. Lightly sprinkle the entire roast with garlic salt. Place roast in large roast pan fatty side up - NOTE: if you have a roast pan that has a rack use it, it lets the fat drain. Spread herb mixture over fatty side of Prime Rib and ends: if it doesn't look like enough use more of just the cracked pepper to cover up blank spots . Place roast in oven for 20 minutes. Turn oven down to 325' and continue to roast for about 75 to 90 minutes for a medium done roast. The end pieces will be more well done with center cuts being on the rare but not too rare side. Take it out of the oven when it hits 145' on your meat thermometer. If you want it well done all the way through take it out at 155'. Let it sit for about 15 minutes before cutting it. I poured off the liquid and skimmed the fat to make the au jus - I just did it by taste so I don't have a specific recipe. It was heavenly with homemade mashed potatoes, green beans with pancetta and a sour dough loaf.

2 comments:

  1. You have me salivating at 8:14 in the morning. This is not good, but that sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so yummy. I particularly like your 12 cloves of garlic...

    ReplyDelete