Thursday, January 13, 2011

A Moment in time


When we moved into our house my father-in-law wanted to give us something. Specifically, he wanted to give the kids something. We found a place that sold these great play structures, very solid pieces that weren't going to tip over in an earthquake or from a kid swinging on it. It took two burly guys about 4 hours to set it up in our backyard. The kids loved it! So, they played on it, rain or shine. They climbed, pretended, made it a fort, made it a tea party house, made me laugh and only one broken arm to boot. (Not my kid)

Last summer they decided they were done with it. I tried to let go. I did. I tried. Every time I looked at it I saw Connor when he was four with his red, white and blue cape climbing up the wall acting like Spiderman. I heard Tylor making truck noises and steering it. I saw Lauren making up the little table with lemonade and cookies and having a tea party with her friends. I still see them as little but they aren't.

I finally posted it on Craig's list this week. Today two guys came and took it down in about an hour. I was very excited, a little giddy in fact. All the things I could do with an extra 20' x 12' !

But ... Now I'm sad. I just gave away a little bit of my kids childhood. I hope the new kids love it as much as mine did. Sniff....

1 comment:

  1. It's hard to have those moments in life where you realize it is the end of a season and you will never experience those times again. I hit a couple of those this year.
    It helps me to think of the day when I am heading off on a cruise with Kevin after all of the chicks have left the nest.

    ReplyDelete